[Foundation-l] 300 Euro for excellent Articles: an experiment

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 13:45:53 UTC 2005

Your comments below have nothing to do with what you said earlier. I
appreciate the value of translation, and actually worked as a professional
translator for twenty years. This is not about translation. You suggested  companies
pay the Foundation or (individuals) to translate articles about them.  Once
money changes hands over content, the question becomes whether the  Foundation or
the translator has a responsibility to ensure that the content is
satisfactory to that client. The exchange of money can be viewed as a  contractual
agreement of sorts. Assuming we do that, it is the corporation that  determines the
content of the article, not the community. It is clear that this  is a
violation of NPOV.

In general, I am also opposed to people paying for articles. I think that
this will be the first step toward a breakdown of a volunteer community. Imagine
 this scenario. If Danny is getting paid to translate or write articles,
maybe I  should too. Maybe I wont even write an article until I get paid for it.

In just four and a half years, we have been highly successful because we  are
a volunteer organization devoted to creating free content--not a
translator's bulletin board. What you and Gerard are proposing will harm the  volunteer
spirit of the project by creating unnecessary hierarchies within it of  paid
writers and volunteers. This is completely against everything we have  succeeded
in doing so far.

Danny

In a message dated 8/18/2005 8:27:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sabine_cretella at yahoo.it writes:

>If a  company pays us to write or  feature an article,
>does that mean  that we are beholden to them to provide their  POV as well?

no - since whoever wants such a translation knows that the article  is
already npov - so he wants this content translated and not re-written  to
his/her favour

>What
>about if a political or  religious group tries to do the same  thing?

see above: any  article for wikipedia is there to be improved - also the
translated ones  ...

>To what
>degree will corporate or other moneys be used  as leverage  against NPOV.
>
>I am confident that the  community will reject this idea.

well ... see: if  there is a translated article and you don't even know
about this and then  it is uploaded it is treated like any contribution -
people will have a  look at it and say it is fine or modify it