[Foundation-l] 300 Euro for excellent Articles: an experiment

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 10:47:35 UTC 2005

In a message dated 8/18/2005 5:48:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sabine_cretella at yahoo.it writes:

When  talking about contents we can also think about companies that maybe
would  feature an article paying it ... why not? It is a contribution as
well and  we can get things done. And why not say: if you want this
article to be  translated you also have to give something of something
that is important  to other projects? Example: I have an article
translated into English (and  really this is not "so much needed") - in
addition to that I pay for  another article in any of the languages that
are "important to develop" -  so everyone is happy.

Sure it is a contribution, but what would that do to our credibility.  Having
companies pay for articles, especially feature articles, raises the  question
of whether they are simply advertising pieces in the guise of  articles, or
genuine NPOV coverage. If a company pays us to write or  feature an article,
does that mean that we are beholden to them to provide their  POV as well? What
about if a political or religious group tries to do the same  thing? To what
degree will corporate or other moneys be used as leverage  against NPOV.

I am confident that the community will reject this idea.

Danny