[Foundation-l] Re: Chapters, deductibility and donation profiles (was Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Aug 17 12:54:13 UTC 2005

Dirk Riehle wrote:

> Transfering money out of the U.S. has not been a tax problem for us,
> the IRS so far has played nicely with us. But getting money from
> Germany to the U.S. has eluded us. If you figure out how to do it
> without endangering non-profit status in Germany, please let me know!
>
> Dirk

This is just a thought out loud, but what possible arrangements could be
made for not necessarily returning the money to the US, but using funds
from local chapters that may be furthering goals in 3rd countries?  i.e.
spending money on developers in 3rd world countries, helping develop
specific language wikis, seed money for new chapters, etc.?  Or is the
money "stuck" in Germany proper and can't go anywhere else at all for
any reason?

--
Robert Scott Horning