[Foundation-l] Re: Chapters, deductibility and donation profiles (was Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20)

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 17 06:36:05 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
> There is the problem that people may donate to the local chapter
> (everything but DB servers) *rather than* the Wikimedia Foundation in
> Florida (DB servers). One would want to make sure that a country's
> donations going to the chapter rather than the WMF would not leave a hole
> in the budget.

Well, my understanding was that in the last fundraising drive, the
fundraising link on the German Wikipedia went to a Verein website, and
that they collected some 9,777 euro. So people did indeed donate to a
local chapter *rather than* the Wikimedia Foundation. And as far as I
know, that money is still unspent.

Will the upcoming fundraising drive also direct German users to donate
to the Verein, or will it direct donations to Florida? And if donations
will be collected by the Verein, do they have a public budget or plan
for spending that money?

-- Tim Starling