[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember 1st 20

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:06:21 UTC 2005

On 16/08/05, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is, and it isn't. For having worked in the event business for the
> past 7 years, I can say that bookings for conference venues in the
> summer are pretty much on a first come, first served basis, first come
> meaning the first who books solid. You might want to ask to be
> considered as "second option" on many venues that "seem" to be booked
> for next summer, and find out that you'll get the venue because you're
> the first who signs a contract.

That's very interesting. It's also been suggested to me to look into
provisionally booking our preferred choice(s) in the UK.

> I am completely ok with shortening the calendar if that secures us the
> perfect location for next year. I believe that we could have the first
> shortlist by the end of September rather than October 15th.
>
> What calendar do you propose?

A shortlist by the end of September would be very good.  A "decision
day" of October 15 rather than November 1 would help a lot.

But I also wonder if the deadline for bid submissions could be moved
forwards. Those who are interested in proposing serious bids are
probably already working on them (as we are in the UK).

For example:
Bids submitted by September 14
Shortlist made on September 21 (I can't imagine there will be that
many realistic bids, and seven days should be enough to chose, no?)
Final decision made on October 5

Dan