[Foundation-l] Legal implications of hosting wikis outside of United States?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Aug 3 13:07:09 UTC 2005

We've got a new set of servers coming in South Korea real soon, and are
talking about the possibility of additional data centers elsewhere in
Europe.

With our current software system it's relatively straightforward to move
whole wikis to separate data centers; for instance moving German and
French Wikipedias and some other languages to Europe, or Korean and
other Asian languages to Korea. This could allow us to make better use
of server resources for expansion.

What would be the legal implications of serving some content from
outside of the United States, in comparison to merely running them
through a local caching proxy?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)