[Foundation-l] Re: The role of the board

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 10:47:46 UTC 2005

Delirium a écrit:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> If your question is: will there ever come a day when the community
>> undertakes a vote of some kind to do away with neutrality or the
>> principle of free licensing, then my answer is: not if I can help it.
>> And this is not me _against_ the community, but rather this is my
>> promise to the community, to defend it and not make hasty decisions that
>> would lead to the potential corruption of our ideals.
>>

> I agree with that, but I don't think those scenarios are likely to come
> up, and certainly not very often.  In the more common case, there are
> issues on which reasonable people can disagree within the scope of
> Wikipedia's mission, and on those I think deferring to the community in
> large part makes some sense.
>
> I don't necessarily mean holding votes on everything, but at least
> recognizing that in principle this isn't a top-down organization, but
> rather a community that largely works on its own to write a high-quality
> encyclopedia.  The community resolves disputes over articles, develops
> policies on specific projects, and so on, with a legal organization that
> provides servers, loose guidance, and suggestions, and a baseline
> assurance that nothing is straying unacceptably from the Foundation's
> mission (abandoning neutral viewpoint or something of that sort).
>
> There seems to be a tendency lately, since we have a board, to just dump
> all decisions onto it as a convenient arbiter ("this should be a Board
> decision"), which I think would be a mistake.
>
> -Mark

Sort of agree with the latest comment...
But... I do not see that a *recent* trend at all. Previously, most
unsolved issues were dump on Jimbo ("this should be decided by Jimbo").

In principle, Jimbo has been careful not to necessarily react to such
appeals, but only to get involved in the most untractable cases (and not
even always so) or those potentially damaging the basic principles of
the projects.

ant