[Foundation-l] Chinese Wikinews: board action required

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Apr 16 23:26:16 UTC 2005

Yann Forget wrote:
> I hope that a new promotion campaign will attract new contributors for this
> project. This should be started soon as the French Wikipedia is approaching
> the 100,000 articles.

Since we're all discussing the problems of French wikinews, it is
worth pointing out that French Wikipedia is prospering.  I don't like
for people to compete on article counts, because after all an article
count is a poor proxy for quality work in the final analysis.  But, we
all do it anyway because it is fun.  :-)

It seems likely that at recent rates of growth, French wikipedia will
surpass Japanese wikipedia in the next few months.  According to (En)
Wikipedia, French has 128 million total speakers (first and second
language) while Japanese has 127 million total speakers.  So we should
expect that most likely they will grow in parallel passing each other
several times in the coming years.

--Jimbo