[Foundation-l] logos

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Apr 16 14:28:24 UTC 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>> I think that absolutely *no one* should have the right to
>> *unilaterally* decide who is a partner and who can use our logos on
>> their website. It should be a community approved decision. Possibly an
>> approval by a limited number of people to represent the community (we
>> are not gonna vote for any logo use), but never a *one* person decision.
>

> I agree to that. Wikimedia is a community, so everyone is entitled, as
> much as possible, to give his/her opinion and help decide.

I agree in the very abstract sense, but there is a practical problem
with this.  As president of the foundation, I require a certain amount
of freedom of action which can't involve seeking community approval for
every single thing that I do.

When we are dealing with people who want to use our logo, it's up to the
board to decide, not the community.  The board of course needs to
respect the community, but ultimately we have to really very strongly
avoid an ethos which says that we have to go through a massive public
discussion and vote about everything -- this is a formula for paralysis.

--Jimbo