[Foundation-l] copyright question about data

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:21:45 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 11:42 PM, Jean-Baptiste Soufron <jbsoufron at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I understand it, these figures would be derivative works from
> public domain works... and their author would get copyright !
>
> Cordialement,
>
> Jean-Baptiste Soufron, Doctorant
> CERSA - CNRS, Paris 2
> http://soufron.free.fr

Yes, that is right, the person/organisation that compiled the data
gets credit for their work - it is in the public domain but we still
need to reference the source. The same goes for graphs - a
representation of data is itself copyright, though you can make your
own graph from the data and refer to the source, ie. World Bank, UNDP
or whatever. Correct me if I am wrong..
Cormac