[Foundation-l] Re: Wikijunior - Wikispecies, Mk 2?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Wed Oct 27 13:30:45 UTC 2004

Delirium (delirium at hackish.org) [041027 12:30]:
> Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

> >I think we need to be a lot more careful with terminology.  Not every
> >new thing is a "fork".

> Well, insofar as it's a fork of the community's development effort---a
> diversion of work that would otherwise go into one of the other
> projects---it could be considered such.  Whether that's the case is
> arguable, of course.

Highly. Although there will be some competition in effort (if I had 48
hours a day to edit Wikipedia ...), in the end volunteers do what they want
to do; all a project leader can do is entice them in a particular
direction. When herding cats, find something that works like tuna. Also,
it's not like there aren't thousands and millions of people who could be
drawn into the project - large as Wikimedia is, I think we've hardly
scratched the surface of the possible contributor pile.

- d.