[Foundation-l] Interwiki Cooperation; NSK

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Oct 27 07:05:53 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 04:26, Jens Ropers wrote:
> DO you or DON'T you edit?

Define edit.

> DO you or DON'T you have an account?

Define account.

> You're not actually contributing to the Wikipedia.

Define contributing.

> You've not submitted any code towards MediaWiki development.

No, I haven't. I would be willing to do that, though.

> You have however downloaded the MediaWiki software

Yes. Thank you for making available this software.

> You've then set up your own website(s) with MediaWiki

Yes. They are NerdyPC.org (Information Technology), Adapedia.org (Computer
Science), Jnana.Wikinerds.org (a playground), MaatWorks.Wikinerds.org
(software engineering). In the future I will set up wikis on Science Fiction,
Biology, Law, OpenSource et cetera.

I have paid money for all that. I can use 80GB of monthly traffic (to be
upgraded today).

> talked about, like, A LOT in your posts to our Wikimedia-related lists

If you like you can ask me to not talk about my wikis here.

Wikipedia is the largest wiki and I think its mailing lists are useful for
general discussion and not only just WP.

discussion.

> You have BIG PLANS for your website(s)

Yes.

> but as of now little has materialized.

The Wikinerds.org endeavour was started this August. I think I am building it
pretty fast!

> There don't appear to be much other contributors

There are some people who are interested and some people have user accounts in
the Wikinerds Portal (drupal), Jnana and NerdyPC.

Not counting myself:

3 users in portal.wikinerds.org
1 user in nerdypc.org
1 user in jnana.wikinerds.org (plus 1 anon)
1 user in forum.wikinerds.org
0 users in adapedia.org
0 users in maatworks.wikinerds.org
0 users in collab.wikinerds.org
0 ftp users (which means no userpages)
0 email users (we can give free POP emails @wikinerds.org)

Well, as I said, Wikinerds started in August! It's a new site.

> besides yourself

I am currently the only person who contributes content to the Wikinerds
Community.

> yet you're kinda seeing your efforts as
> somehow fully equivalent to what has happened "in our corner".

Well, perhaps I need some more sleep (sometimes I don't have sleep for >24h).
I checked some of my previous posts and I think I was a bit wrong in some
occasions. Perhaps it would be a good idea to develop an e-mail protocol with
a "CANCEL MSG" command.

Certainly, Wikinerds is not as successful as Wikipedia, yet, although it will
soon be very successful.

> Finally, you've ventured to advise us on what we really are and ought
> to be

Just sharing ideas. You are free to send me your ideas about my projects, too.
I will read them all and reply. I love sharing ideas, even if I disagree with
some of them!

> (and you've persisted even when people made it very clear that
> they perceived your advice as running counter to the very principles
> our projects are founded upon).

I am sorry; my mistake.

> Imagine some person travelled to the U.S.

Isn't it more beautiful to write US ? I mean, is the point really necessary?

> to settle in and become a citizen of the country but rather proceeded
> to lecture the citizens of the U.S. that the Declaration of
> Independence and all these old handwritten papers were fundamentally

Is Wikipedia a big Imperium?

> to be blamed of anything of any consequence, whatever happens and,
> err... actually...
> Ahem.
> Forget what I said. This last point I cede to you.

[CENSORED]. I cannot answer to that, sorry!

--
NSK
Admin of http://portal.wikinerds.org