[Foundation-l] Wikinews

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 08:10:34 UTC 2004

I thank you Erik for this clearer proposal.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikinews

I have two comments to make with regards to it.

"A Wikinews project in a language will be started under two conditions: a) that the language is accepted as one of the Wikimedia project languages, b) that there is at least one person who expresses an interest in working on that language edition."

I wish that this requirement is modified.
One person interested is not enough if only for one single reason : if only one person is editor, he will also have to be the one person making all policies, and the one doing the validation and publication. There will be no feedback and no control. No discussion either.
This is not a wiki, but a blog.
This mean that any pov pusher can ask for a wikinews, announced himself big chief, and go wild.

So, I would like that this requirement is a bit changed, so as to increase the number of minimal interested people. Note that if 5 people are found, and only 1 contribute, we find ourselves in the same situation.

And this is doubly dangerous, as the articles will be protected after a while.

The second point has to do with liability. If an article contains an error, but may not be corrected after a week, we will be liable.
And this time, we wont be able to say "there is a incorrect statement ? Please, do correct it".
Putting a correction in an attached page wont do it either. Because other sites will use our content, and they are not likely to bother go check error corrections mentionned in another page. This type of "correction" work well in paper journal. It just is not okay online.

Anthere