[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Wed Oct 13 17:35:43 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Wednesday 13 October 2004 06:13, Erik Moeller a écrit :
> Anthere-
>
> > Erik and I discussed all this, and a proposal is to have a solid and
> > clear presentation in english, then to have it translated and promoted.
> > A poll will follow to clarify opinion of contributors toward that new
> > project.
>
> Here's my suggestion:
>
> 1) We cut down the Wikinews proposal to five minimal requirements:
>
>    a) that we launch Wikinews in all languages where there are people
>       interested in working on it;

How do you think different languages will be organized ?
With different domains like Wikipedia or all languages within one domain like
Wikisource now ? In the later case, the multilingual interface should be
available before the start of the project, IMO.

>    b) that the project goal is to report news in a wide range of
>       subject areas from a neutral point of view;
>    c) that it will include original reporting on these subjects;
>    d) that articles will undergo at least three stages:
>       development - publication - archiving;
>    e) that, in recognition of the increased responsibility and legal
>       liability that comes with original reporting, each Wikinews project
>       will try to develop checks and balances to assure that articles are
>       fair and accurate at the time of publication.
>
> The specific implementation(s) and possible further requirements will be
> worked out through the usual wiki process on the project website once it
> is operational.
>
> 2) [[m:Wikinews]] will elaborate on these requirements.
>
> 3) [[m:Wikinews/Vote]] will list them in short form as above, and ask
> users to vote on them (Yes/No).
>
> 4) [[m:Wikinews/Implementation proposals]] will be an open space for
> exploring possible policies and software changes to satisfy requirements
> b)-e) (this will include much of what is currently at [[m:Wikinews]]). The
> purpose of this page is to make sure that we have some ideas to build upon
> if/when we actually launch the project.
>
> After these pages are finished, we will then invite translators to
> translate at least [[m:Wikinews]] and [[m:Wikinews/Vote]]. There will be a
> period of 7 days for translations.

I can help translation into French if needed.

> After the period for translations is over, there will be a period of 21
> days for voting. The vote will be widely publicized.
>
> If, within the first 7 days of voting, there is a 90% level of agreement
> or higher, the project can launch immediately. Seeing as this procedure
> may well become the standard for future Wikimedia project proposals, I
> find it important to minimize bureaucratic overhead for proposals which
> have an exceptionally high level of agreement, even if that may not be the
> case for Wikinews.
>
> Is this agreeable?
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik