[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 13 06:04:31 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:

>Anyone with a damages decree is going to levy on the servers and the domain
>names.

Sure, because those are the only assets we have. But looking at it from
the other side of this hypothetical, would it be worth the plaintiff's
effort to get a damages decree? Wikimedia is, just like many other
entities in the open source world, a thinly capitalized nonprofit
organization without any well-developed revenue stream. The servers
aren't worth that much in the overall scheme of things - possibly not
enough to cover even our own legal fees, or if we rely on pro bono
assistance, the other side's lawyers. Plus they're hardware that
depreciates rapidly. As for the domain names, most of their value exists
because we own them. They'd have no value to the plaintiff except in a
sale, and even that would probably be wiped out by the substantial fork
that would promptly arise should any lawsuit actually bankrupt Wikimedia.

It only makes sense to go for damages if the defendant has the "deep
pockets" to pay them. With us, the plaintiff's primary interest is
likely to be a retraction and an injunction against continued
publication of the offending material. If we find they actually have a
case, it's much easier for everyone if we just withdraw the story and
issue a retraction without all the litigation. Then we go on about our
business, while the plaintiff gets to think, "Ha, I made them grovel and
apologize, they'll tread very carefully if ever they write about me again."

The organizations that budget millions for legal defense do so because
they have millions to protect. We may be getting up there in terms of
visibility, but in economic terms we're still a very small fish indeed.

--Michael Snow