[Foundation-l] Re: Formal request: Wikinews project

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Oct 12 12:44:00 UTC 2004

Andrew-
> Erik, I'm intrigued by the idea, of course, as it's my area of study.
> However, with the Wikinews project having to source original content,
> identify individuals, institute a reputation system and the establish
> a workflow, I questioin how apt the title "wiki" is to this project.

The Wikipedia project has to do the same things:
* identify individuals - that's what we do when we figure out sources for
factual claims in an article
* institute a reputation system - [[Wikipedia:Requests for adminship]]
* establish workflow - [[Wikipedia:Featured article candidates]],
[[Wikipedia:Peer review]], [[m:Article validation]]

Just because we try to improve upon the tools which we use to do our jobs
we're not suddenly becoming "less of a wiki". Wiki is a philosophy of ease
of use and openness, and that philosophy is maintained to the maximum
extent allowable for a project that specializes in news reporting, hence
the name Wikinews is entirely appropriate.

> It has more similarity to [[OhMyNews]], [[Indymedia]] and other
> citizen reporter efforts.

I don't know OhMyNews, but Indymedia is largely non-collaborative.
Individual reporters write individual stories. They don't use a wiki model
of open editing.

Regards,

Erik