[Foundation-l] Formal request: Wikinews project

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Oct 10 15:07:00 UTC 2004

Delirium-
> Given that on en: at least, Current Events is fairly mediocre in
> quality, is there a need for an entirely separate site?  Why not work to
> make [[en:Current Events]] a truly good summary of current news, and
> once that happens, expand to original reporting?

The purpose of [[current events]] is to collect one paragraph summaries
and aggregate them in unsorted, unreadable bullet point lists. The purpose
of Wikinews is to publish in-depth reports about current issues including
original reporting, which will be frozen and archived after a certain
amount of time. As the proposal describes, [[current events]] may be able
to eventually transclude summaries from Wikinews. But the two are very
different in focus and always will be.

Wikinews will already be useful even with spotty participation. For
example, even if only Linux fans participate in writing Wikinews articles
initially, we can still create the best Linux news source on the web using
wiki collaboration. However, I believe that Wikinews will soon acquire
editors and reporters from all relevant fields, although our coverage of
events outside Internet-connected countries will always be mixed (as is
that of the mainstream media).

After we've created a nice Main Page and some basic policies, I'd like to
write a press release specifically about the launch of Wikinews.

Regards,

Erik