[Foundation-l] Re: Wiktionary, general thoughts

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Mon May 17 02:28:38 UTC 2004

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> "Go" is a verb with so many
> meanings (go by bus, go for it, gone with the wind, ...) and should
> they all be explained and translated again on the went and gone pages?

Well, personally, I would like for "goes", "went" and "gone" to simply
redirect to "go"...

> The German Wiktionary contains 971 pages, but only 39 qualify as
> articles. I don't know what is missing in the other 932 ones.

I don't know that either, but I just went to have a look, and their Main
Page explicitly says "PLEASE DO NOT CREATE ARTICLES YET." Apparently
they want to think about the layout template and general organisation
first. Quite obviously they are even more paranoid about consistency
than I am, and I do acknowledge that consistency is an order of
magnitude harder to accomplish in something like Wiktionary (which is
mainly structured data) than in something like Wikipedia (which is
mainly just free-form text).

Timwi