[Foundation-l] Wiktionary, general thoughts

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun May 16 14:50:22 UTC 2004

Hi.

I meant to post this here a long time ago, but I didn't get around to it.

It is my understanding that the aim of the English Wiktionary has always
been and still is to define all words of all languages, as well as
provide translations of all words into all other languages. Is that right?

We would thus have hundreds of entries for, say, "five" in hundreds of
languages, all of which say nothing else than "this means five" and the
same list of translations into all other languages. Isn't this an
incredible nightmare to keep in sync?

Now we have Wiktionaries in loads of languages, and all the redundancy
above is multiplied /again/ by the number of languages. We would be
collecting the translations for the word "five" n² times, where n is the
number of languages. I don't know how many languages there are on this
planet, but even if it was only 1000 languages, this means 1000000 (one
million!) times the same list of words.

Am I the only one who thinks this is unbelievably redundant?

Timwi