[Foundation-l] EasyTimeline and WikiHiero enabled on all wikis

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 01:05:48 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> EasyTimeline by Erik Zachte is an extension for creating graphical
> timelines with clickable links. WikiHiero by Guillaume 'Aoineko' Blanchard
> is for rendering hieroglyphs. Both are now enabled on all Wikimedia wikis.
>
> As per our earlier extension syntax vote, EasyTimeline uses the <timeline>
> syntax, WikiHiero uses the <hiero> syntax.
>
> You can read more about them here:
> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyTimeline
> http://test.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiHiero
>
> To my knowledge, MediaWiki is the only wiki software which supports such
> functionality. It should make our wikis interesting even in the highest
> academic circles.
>
> Although EasyTimeline can generate SVG output, only PNG output is
> currently supported. In the future, we hope to offer SVG as a user
> preference.

Hey that is really neat! Could this be used to create a small, clickable
imagemap for use in maps? I would love to have something like that for the
image locater maps used in the element articles. See
http//:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen for an example. It wold also be great to
eventually marry that with a map generation feature to create clickable maps.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)