[Foundation-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: w to properly use articles from an outside GFDL source?

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Sun May 30 00:53:57 UTC 2004

Well, I think many people, including I, want to see GFDL changed and/or
becoming compatible with CC-by-sa. The reason is just as you cited: We are
stuck with it.

But such a change might take a long time (it has been already taking for a
long time), while somewhat questionable practices (copying and pasting of
texts or images without preserving history) are happening day by day. And
that is where a quick temporary fix like the introduction of the PD license
can help. Probably I was not clear on this, but it is not contradictory to
the change to GFDL, (or drafting of GFCL) as I understand.

Also, if you are concerned about the importing of GFDL'd contents from
outside sources, the PD license could specify that contents in the article,
image, and media namespaces are not dual-licensed, but simply GFDL'd. But
then, again, we are doing something questionable when we translate an
article containing such a text from one language to another without
preserving its history.

Like I suggested in the other email, it seems that the American Wikipedans
are reasonably safe. Court may find, even in case a lawsuit happens for some
reasons, not preserving history here and there is not a problem. And maybe
other en. Wikipedians are as safe (or maybe not. That part is something I
really don't know). So I am not urging that en. should adopt such a license.

But like I said, the license has its own benefits, both for en. wikipedians
and potentially for others who copy contents (text or image) from en.
without preserving history.

Regards,

Tomos