[Foundation-l] Bounties and expenses

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Tue Jun 22 10:03:49 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller schrieb:

> Again, we could use a certain amount of money from the Prix Ars
> Electronica funds for a first test drive (I'd suggest $2000). If it turns
> out that such a bounty system does more harm than good, we can always stop
> doing it. It is unlikely that a single experiment will have devastating
> effects, but it is quite possible that it will lead the way toward a
> complementary development process.

Before starting a test drive we need a way to measure the harm done. The problem
is that the psychological effects might take time. Maybe it'll take half a year
before we realize that most programmers are waiting for new bounties before
starting the dirty programming work, and only very few are still working for
free, but only because they need this or that feature for their own wiki
installation.

I'm not against a bounty system, just a bit skeptic. I fear that after the first
test drive the people in favor of it will point to the tasks done and the
skeptics will just have their premonition but no way to prove it.

Kurt

--
  http://leihnetzwerk.de -- Teile Bücher, Videos und CDs mit anderen!
  http://wikipedia.de    -- Arbeite mit bei der freien Enzyklopädie!