[Foundation-l] Re: Funding for the newly elected Board Members

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 18:23:26 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Last evening, we were discussing of how much money was currently in bank.
> I made a quick estimate, because Mav in on holidays, so I could not ask
> him last numbers, but basically I know that mid may we had roughly 5.400
> dollars. Add to this the 9000 dollars refund for a server. Plus 10.000
> euros received a few days ago by Jimbo for the trophy.
>
> That makes about 24 000 dollars (it is a *very* rough estimate).

The figure I have on http://wikimediafoundation.org/fundraising is US$9,054.63
as of June 18. That figure does *not* include the ~US$9000 server refund and it
does *not* include the ArsElectronica award money.  So your estimate, if
anything, is low by a few thousand dollars. I will update the numbers as soon
as I get exact figures from Jimbo.

> JeLuF made a provisional hardware budget for the rest of the year.
> You may find it here :
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_provisional_budget
> Current amount indicated is 12000 dollars

This is helpful, but the dollar figure looks to be way too optimistic given our
non-linear growth rate.

> I would say that we should plan a fund raising time in fall. It will be
> necessary. But saying we do not have enough money right now is just
> plain incorrect.

We should have one sooner. In fact we should have one *each* quarter of the
year.

> Absolutely. It is very important that people know how their money is
> spent. I deeply agree. And we know that donations were done to purchase
> *hardware*, because most donations were sent while wiki was broken, and
> we made a general call precisely to have new hardware, so no money
> donated to pay for server should be used for any other means. This is an
> essential point, and I really wish that no one have any doubts about that.

It would be trivial for me to track the ArsElectronica money separately so that
it could be used for non-server expenses. In future fund drives we would say up
front the exact maximum percentage non-server expenses (overhead) would take up
of the general fund budget. Thus fund drives would be best launched right after
a quarterly board meeting. The coming fund drive and revising the budget would
be very important topics for that meeting.

> We provide right now transparent money use history. Mav has been
> maintaining this for a while now. See
>
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_bank_account_history_for_2004

Which reminds me that I need more bank statements from Jimbo.

> I think that in the future, we may ask members to indicate if they wish
> that their money is used for a specific purpose. Till now, the two
> specific purposes were
> * hardware
> * purchase of a computer for Brion

We just need to be upfront as to how exactly the money is spent. Ergo, we need
a living budget that is adhered to (my main election platform, BTW).

> I see many more. Especially for firms funding. A firm or an organisation
> may wish that the donation money is used in a specific way, such as
> support of a minority language, or sending computers with wikipedia on
> it to an given african country, or making a whole set of wikireaders
> around a specific topic. There are many options and to my opinion,
> donators should have the possibility to indicate what they want the
> money to be used for.

For individual donors, we could have three separate PayPal/MoneyBookers
accounts to choose from:
1) general fund (pays for server-related expenses and basic foundation expenses
which would not exceed 10%)
2) developer fund (pays bounties to developers to fix certain things in
MediaWiki)
3) legal defense fund (pays the expenses of pro-bono legal council)

> Aside from donations, we also recently received an award (10 000 euros),
> and the money from this award may be used the way we choose to use it.
> Which mean, we can use it for hardware, or for *anything else*,
> including to support costs which will help to build the community.

Or to reimburse the travel costs of board members who attend meetings.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)