[Foundation-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] proposed policy change - allow *certain* CC-licensed images on Wikipedia...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jun 7 06:49:14 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I fully support that we should accept images under all free licenses,
>using the aggregation clause of the GNU FDL. (Clause 7.)

This requires defining a free license, however:

-- Does requiring attribution (like old-style BSD) make the license
non-free?  Richard Stallman seems to think so, from what I can gather
from gnu.org.
-- Does permitting only verbatim redistribution make the license
non-free?  Many people (including myself) would argue so.

If we're going to allow things other than GFDL and public domain, we'll
have to come up with a set of free software guidelines, much as Debian
has done (either that, or agree to adopt one of the existing sets,
either Debian's, or the FSF's, or some other one).

-Mark