[Foundation-l] Re: Rethinking Meta (was- Wikiquote now has subdomains)

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at nichtich.de
Thu Jul 22 09:02:33 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

 > I too oppose balkanization of Meta and other projects.  People would
 > certainly feel more at ease working in their own language groups, but
 > always at the risk of not seeing what others are doing.  Once the
 > languages are separated there would never be any incentive to get
them > back together again, even if the right software were developed.

Full ack. The German Wikimedia Association settled at meta and not at
de.wikipedia because we do not want to be seperated. We startet to write
short abstracts for german pages at meta. Naming problems can be solved.
For instance [[Merchandising]] could point to [[Merchandising (en)]] and
[[Merchandising (de)]]. What is missing is the possibility to change the
interface's language but not dividing the pages.

Jakob