[Foundation-l] Fundraising

Fennec Foxen fennec at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 17:49:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:43:10 -0700, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> Christopher Mahan wrote:
> > Can we not find a way to find the referer and add a fundraiser if
> > slashdot is in it?
>
> That would kill caching, which would kill our servers.

Kill our servers? No. Vaporize our servers into a fine quantam mist?
Certainly. :)

Would it be thoroughly impossible to stick on another (hackish)
low-overhead layer that did nothing if the referrer was not Slashdot,
but otherwise would redirect to a specially cached version of the
page? Would it be possible to intercept Slashdot to a temporary quick
hi-welcome-slashdotters-give-us-money page before forwarding the user
on to the real article (automatically or via a link)?