[Foundation-l] fundraising proposal #1

Angela_ beesley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:01:06 UTC 2004

Danny wrote:
> One possibility is that we begin compiling a snail mail list of potential donors, to whom we begin sending out solicitations.

I've created a page at meta for comments, and also for suggestions of
potential donors if people think this is the right approach. Please
see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Potential_donors_to_Wikimedia

Eloquence wrote:
>I don't think this is the best approach. We're an online project and we
should do our fundraising online.

I don't see a need to limit ourselves to this. If we can reach people
through alternative, offline means, such as direct solicitations, or
Wikimedia fairs (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_auf_Messen),
then I think this could be a good way of attracting funds from people
who wouldn't otherwise see the site, and also raises our profile
outside of the existing pool of donors.

> What I think we should do is have a fundraiser twice a year...

I was thinking quarterly, or would that be too often?

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> An opt-in checkbox to receive such a newsletter for each new user account on any Wikimedia wiki might also be a good idea.

I agree. This could be checked the same time as people check the box
to say they want to become Wikimedia members. How about having
checkboxes in user preferences:
*Become a Volunteer Active Member [ ]
*Receive Wikimedia emails [ ]
*Become a Contributing Active Member [ ] (leads to a form where you
can pay dues)

Links should be given on that part of the user preferences page to
terms and conditions, the bylaws, the privacy policy etc.

Angela.