[Foundation-l] fundraising proposal #1

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 20:45:15 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> What I think we should do is have a fundraiser twice a year, with a
> dynamically updated progress bar (we can get this developed now by putting
> a bounty on it), a list of recent donors and a list of top donors. During
> the time of the fundraising (a week or so every year), this progress bar
> would occupy the top 10-20% of screen space on all Wikimedia projects. It
> should be possible to directly make a donation from any Wikimedia page
> during the fundraising - just a single click. We would specify the goal
> beforehand and link to the detailed budget.

This is all a great idea, but I would have such a fund drive every quarter
since projecting our budgetary needs out half a year involves a bit of hand
waving since our growth is neither linear nor that predictable.

> We have more traffic than Slashdot. I think reaching our goals will not be
> as difficult as some people appear to think. It's just a matter of
> exposure.

Actually we are *way* ahead of Slashdot and now even occasionally pass up
FoxNews.com on a daily basis (CNN.com is still out of reach). Not to mention
the fact that we have left NPR.org, Reuters.com, AP.org, MSNBC.com, Salon.com,
WSJ.com and other multi-million dollar media outlets who have a very important
web presense in the dust.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia.org_is_more_popular_than...#News_and_Media_sites

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)