[Foundation-l] Re: NEH grant

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 9 05:19:38 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

> Christopher Mahan wrote:
>
>> I too wish to express my misgivings at getting the grant. There's
>> always strings attached, and targets have to be met, and so on. Who's
>> gonna run it? Who's gonna keep track of the money, the milestones,
>> etc...
>>
>> I would rather mav publish a monthly budget and post that to the
>> front page, like this:
>>
>> This month, we need $4000 to meet expenses. So far, users have
>> contributed $2800. Thank you!
>>
>> If budget is met, then you write:
>> This month's budget has been met. Thank you!
>>

>> It needs to be updated daily.
>
> I strongly disagree with this.
> A budget is not something you balance week per week or even month per
> month. We must plan it. In advance. A budget is something you have to
> organise, to take into account structural needs, contingencies, and
> see how to best use the remaining.

With respect to budgets, and also with respect to the financial
management involved in running a grant, Anthere is quite right. The
people who have to do the actual work cannot get the job done if they
have to spend half or more of their time keeping everyone constantly
updated on what they're doing.

However, it would be nice to see more frequent updates just about
fundraising progress, which is what this suggestion focuses on. Those
who are particularly interested in this should be encouraged to donate
the funds necessary so that we can start paying Mav a salary. Otherwise,
it's unfair to expect anyone to assume that burden.

--Michael Snow