[Foundation-l] Wiki Translations of Greek/Roman/XYZ classics

wiki_tomos wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Tue Dec 21 00:20:49 UTC 2004

I don't think the line to draw is between translation and encyclopedia
writing. It is more between art and science.

Translation of a technical document, or legal, mathematical, or
scientific for that matter, would rather be straightforward. People
can agree on things easily. There could even be a set of glossaries
or standards they can refer to.

Translation of a literary work could be more difficult to agree on.
But this is not impossible, I think. For example, a short poetry
could be translated in many different ways and they would be equally
valid. But if people know that they have to agree on one version,
they will come to agreement somehow. Since it is under a free
license, people can publish different versions elsewhere. Or, for fun
and out of respect to each other or diverse views, they may come to agree
to make different versions, each occupying one revision in the database,
and offer a link to those revisions from the current version so that
readers can compare and enjoy.

When the work to be translated is large in volume, it needs a lot more
coordination. It is like creating a wikibook or a set of wikipedia
articles. They have to decide on certain editorial policies. There
are many different policy options, and some of them would be equally
valid. But again, because they know there is only one set of options
to be chosen, they can come to agreement.

I have translated various documents on wiki between Japanese and English,
some more like an essay others more like a set of rules. My general experience
is that wiki process is helpful. Translating something alone is not as fun.

I do think, though, that in case of literally works, offering multiple translations
is something valuable, something in line with the neutral point of view policy
that we value so much. So it is nice to have some way to help development of
multiple versions of translations. But since Mediawiki preserve
all past revisions in the database, this can be done. Additional feature is
definitely nice, though not necessary.

Regards,

Tomos