[Foundation-l] WMF as publisher as in GFDL

Robin Shannon robin.shannon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 02:04:00 UTC 2004

> Wikipedia's policy (not Wikimedia's) has been to coerce mirrors and
> forks into providing a link back by huffing and puffing about license
> violations, even though a link back is not required by the license. All
> you need to do to fulfill 4-I is create a "History" section like this:
>
> HISTORY
>     * Some Mirror, 2004, John Copier, http://somemirror.org
>     * Wikipedia, 2000-2002, Wikipedia contributors, http://www.wikipedia.org
>     * Marxists Internet Archive, 2002, MIA volunteers,
> http://www.marxists.org
>     * Nupedia, 2000-2001, Nupedia contributors, http://www.nupedia.org
> (see Wikipedia:Nupedia and Wikipedia for a list of articles this applies to)
>
> That's taken from [[Wikipedia:GFDL History (unofficial)]]. Since it's
> unofficial, you could assume it doesn't exist and just start your own
> section, omitting the 3rd and 4th entries.
>
> Wikimedia doesn't have any policy on this. The link back policy appears
> to have destroyed our Google ranking, triggering spam heuristics. In
> many cases we are ranked below the mirrors. This has forced Google to
> consider a change to their ranking algorithm.

what? sorry, why has the link back destroyed our ranking? isnt it that
the more places that link to us the better our rating, and also what
do you mean by spam heuristics? Why are we ranked below our mirrors?

gah, im confused,

paz y amor,
rjs

--
hit me: robin.shannon.id.au
jab me: saudade at jabber.zim.net.au

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Recombo Plus License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling+/1.0/