[Foundation-l] Policies expanding out of control

Scott Nelson scott at penguinstorm.com
Sun Dec 5 10:30:27 UTC 2004

On Dec 4.2004, at 19:36, Dori wrote:

> The bureacracy level is increasing every day

Wired had a great idea a long time ago; the theory was that if a
company/enterprise had more than 25 people, it should be made a
standalone company.

The theory was to contest the kind of excessive bureaucracy you've
alluded to. It kept it to a minimum.

I'm not suggesting it'll solve problems necessarily, or that it applies
everywhere (it takes more than 25 people to turn out umpteen thousand
boring American sports cars) but it's a solid thought for an IT based
industry.

At some point bureaucracy slows you down, and - most importantly - no
longer adds value.

Note if you hire a maniac like me of course, but that's just me :)

The original author makes some very valid points, and they should be
considered carefully.

First suggestion: you can only sit on the board of/actively work on one
wiki project at once. Maybe two.
--
Skot Nelson
skot at penguinstorm.com