[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Fri Dec 3 12:37:30 UTC 2004

On 3 Dec 2004, at 11:42, David Gerard wrote:

> Jens Ropers (ropers at ropersonline.com) [041203 11:47]:
>
>> (1)
>> While WP compatibility might seem like a real important and convenient
>> thing, IMHO coming to that conclusion is fallacious (as in [[logical
>> fallacy]]):
>> - WP compatibility is pretty much only needed if people want to
>> DUPLICATE (ie. not rewrite) content from the WP.
>> - Wikinews was was expressly advertised as a project that would NOT
>> simply duplicate WP content.
>> Thus, I believe the "requirement" for WP license compatibility is much
>> less than one might think.
>

> I'd disagree, actually. Have you noticed how a breaking news story
> article
> comes together on Wikipedia? It's like seeing a newsmagazine feature
> being
> composed before your eyes. And a lot of stuff on wikinews-l is actually
> newsmagazine-quality writing, not necessarily simple-grammar
> inverted-pyramid newspaper-style information. So I think a lot of the
> stuff
> on wikinews, we really will want to just copy from Wikinews to
> Wikipedia.

And you can do just that.

If Wikinews stays in the public domain, then you CAN simply copy
content from Wikinews to the Wikipedia.
What you may not be able to do easily (i.e. w/o checking with all
relevant contributors) is copy content from the Wikipedia to Wikinews.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com