[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Website

Angela_ beesley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 18:11:47 UTC 2004

mav wrote:
> If the whole website will be HTML-enabled, then page protection alone will not
> be enough to ensure security...

If HTML only on certain namespaces, or for protected pages only isn't
possible, and we can't limit the editing to trusted people only, what
other solution do we have? Shall we retain the current system which
allows certain pages to be exported from HTML even though that
involves someone with shell access adding new pages like this? In
theory, it shouldn't be much of an issue. The number of pages that we
need HTML for are very limited - basically the fundraising page and
membership application form - so once they are created, it would no
longer need shell access. It would just need someone who knows HTML to
edit the site.
This isn't as good as having HTML on the wiki where you can see how it
renders straight away, or as having a mixture of HTML and wikitext
would be, but if the option simply isn't available, I don't think we
should delay creating the new site while we wait for it to be
possible. We have to work with the tools available now, and
unfortunately that does mean editing isn't as easy as it normally
might be.

Yann wrote:
>What structure was decided regarding languages?
>What will be the home page in French f.e.?
>How are done links to other languages?

I think it is going to be possible to use interlanguage links that
point to pages within the same site.

Sj wrote:
> I would love to see a simple "pick your language" portal, a la
> http://www.easyjet.com/ .

I would rather this directed to the right page based on the language
settings in your browser rather than forcing you to choose a language.

Angela.