[Engineering] MediaWiki logstash logging moving to new logging infrastructure

Filippo Giunchedi fgiunchedi at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 2 10:31:42 UTC 2019

Hi!
As you might know SRE has onboarded Logstash among its services. As part of
this effort we've designed a new logging infrastructure and we're working
on its implementation (cfr design document at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Aq-Dhq3SbRCPmQdw6jjaHvH-KaDfuQOeuORu4aCgTyQ/edit?usp=sharing
).
In this phase we are focused on moving onto Kafka for log delivery and
encryption of all logstash logs while in transit on the network, to Kibana
users the move should be transparent as far as logs are stored/displayed.

MediaWiki group0 has been moved a little before the holidays with no
regressions observed. group1 will be moving early next week with
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/operations/mediawiki-config/+/481825.
Please let us know if you have any questions or observe regressions!

thanks,
Filippo for SRE