[Engineering] Your Participation Requested - Interview about your local development environment

Jeena Huneidi jhuneidi at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 8 00:27:46 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for participating in the local development environment
interviews! I was able to get a much better idea of what changes could give
you the highest impact in terms of satisfaction as we move to create a
development environment that more closely matches production while being
mindful of your needs.

Here are the most common issues I found:

   - You’d like an environment that is simple to use and easy to set up,
   and doesn’t require much maintenance from you.
   - You get lost in the documentation, or sometimes can’t find it, and
   assistance isn’t readily available when things go wrong.
   - You also find your current environment takes up too many resources and
   runs too slowly.
   - You have a hard time managing your environment configuration(s).
   - You can find it difficult to share your work with other parties

The most requested features were:

   - Production-like test/dev environments
   - Real content

You can find more details on the Mediawiki Developer Satisfaction page[0].

Initially, I (and others) will be working on a local development
environment to address these problems. This will be a gradual and iterative
effort, so not all issues will be solved right away. I hope to release it
to a group of testers as soon as we have made sufficient progress.

We plan to try a Docker/Kubernetes based implementation, possibly building
upon preexisting works. If you have ideas you’d like to share, please feel
free to discuss them on the talk page[1].

If you have any concerns, please let me know.

[0]. <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_Satisfaction>
[1]. <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Developer_Satisfaction>

Jeena