[Engineering] Status of translation updates (was Re: Translations on hold until further notice)

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 10 19:09:53 UTC 2018

Hello,

Thank you for bearing with us while translation updates were stopped.

We are now updating translations for Wikimedia sites with the weekly
MediaWiki train based on the updates that are being provided by
translatewiki.net. Feel free to add new translatable strings now.

However, during the investigation of the instigating security incident
we identified architectural issues with the systems and processes that
make up the nightly localization updates. This update process is
currently disabled and will remain disabled until there is a clear plan
and resourcing for improving the architecture. The task tracking this
discussion is at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T206694 .

In the mean time new translations will go out with the weekly MediaWiki
train.

Thank you for your continued understanding,

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |