[Engineering] Code Health Newsletter - Issue 1 Volume 1

Jean-Rene Branaa jbranaa at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 3 22:43:54 UTC 2018

Code Health Newsletter

The Code Health[0] newsletter is a monthly publication provided by the
Code Health Group[1].  The Code Health Group serves as the hub for all
Code Health topics and activities within the movement.  If you are
aware or engaged in Code Health activities, we'd love to hear about
it.

# First Responders

Staying with the Health theme, First Responders[2] are those
individuals that have made strides in improving their code's health.
These efforts will hopefully act as stories of inspiration for others
to take on improving their code's health.

Do you have a story to share?  Become or nominate a First Responder by
submitting a task in Phabricator in the #Code-Health-First-Responder
project.  If sharing inspiration isn't enough, how about a cool free
First Responder t-shirt (more about that coming soon).

# Code Stewardship

Code Stewardship[3] is an approach that the Wikimedia Foundation has
adopted to help ensure that components, extensions, and services that
are deployed to the production infrastructure have the necessary
support throughout their lifetime.

To date, the Code Stewardship review process[4] has helped identify
and find Code Stewards for 10 components, extensions, or services that
were un/under-supported.  The goal is to have complete Code Steward
coverage for all deployed-to-production components, extensions, and
services. Although we are not there yet, we are working towards that
goal every day.

This quarter's review window has closed.  More information about how
to submit a review candidate is available on the Code Stewardship
review process wiki page[4].

Latest Code Stewardship Coverage

Core Components: 63%
Extensions: 74%
Services: 65%

Note: these numbers are based on the Developers/Maintainers[5] page.

# Code Health by the Numbers

The following are some stats regarding Code Health.  As we are early
in defining/implementing our Code Health metrics, data is limited.
See the Code Health Metrics project[6] for more information.

In future issues of the newsletter, we'll expand this section to
include other metrics as well as trending information.

## Code Coverage

                                   0-50%            51-90%            90-100%
                                   _______________________________
Extensions                  71                  13                    4
Code Components     5                     10                   18
Services                     Not Available Yet

Note: As of 9/30/18[10].

# Code Health Learning Circles

Learning Circles are an effective way to share knowledge and
experience with your peers.  Although Learning Circles have been done
in one form or another for quite some time, we've decided to do our
best to promote more Code Health related sessions.  More information
about Code Health Learning Circles available here[6].

If you have a topic that you'd like to share, but want a little help
with organizing, please submit a Phabricator ticket to the
#Code-Health-Learning-Circles project.

Newly Added:

Topic: Design Principles and Code Refactoring
Presenter: Guillaume Lederrey
Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Learning_Circle_CodeRefactoring_Guillaume_Lederrey.webm

#Code Health Group Activities

Although the Code Health Group looks to act as a hub for all code
health topics, the group also sponsors various broader reaching
initiatives.

Recent Activities:

Code Health Metrics

Code Health Metrics[7] working group has been formed.  This working
group will focus on defining a core set of metrics that we can use to
assess code health.  If you're interested in Code Health metrics
please engage in the discussion on the Discussion page[8] and/or IRC
#wikimedia-codehealth.

Up Coming Activities:

Code Health Office Hours

The Code Health Group is sponsoring a new bi-weekly Code Health Office
Hours starting October 16th at 3:00pm (15:00).  These sessions are to
be held in Goggle Meet[9].

#Help Wanted

Do you have a Code Health topic that you need help with?  Advice about
refactoring, tech debt, unit testing, etc...  This is the place to ask
for it.  Please submit a Phabricator task to the
#Code-Health-Help-Wanted project and the Code Health Group will do its
best to point you in the right direction.

# Summary

That wraps up this inaugural issue of the Code Health Newsletter.  If
you have any suggestions and/or want to see other topics, feedback is
welcome.  Please just reply to this email.

Cheers,

JR

[0]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_Health
[1]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_Health_Group