[Engineering] Building and delivering software at WMF

Jean-Rene Branaa jbranaa at wikimedia.org
Mon May 1 05:13:49 UTC 2017

Hello All,

For those of you that I’ve not yet met, quick intro.  I’m Jean-Rene Branaa (aka JR) and work on the RelEng team as a Senior Software Quality Analyst.  Since starting with the Foundation in early January, I’ve spent a fair amount of time meeting with folks and getting to know more about how we build and deliver our software.

The initial outcome of that activity is the document linked below.  The intent is to provide some insight into possible improvement areas based on the afore mentioned meetings/discussions.  The content is segmented into three sections - people (culture), process, tools.

This document is intended to be a living document that spurs on further discussions, so feel free to provide your comments/thoughts.  If you have experience/interest in any of the areas listed, I’d be happy to discuss them further with you (and rope you in for any help you are able to provide :-)).  On the other hand, if there are any areas that are not included that you feel warrant some attention/discussion, please let me know.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised throughout all my discussions by the shared desire to continuously improve things.  This is an excellent foundation for us to build on.

https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/document/d/1AAFQNZt36TX5XVFajdbb1g-f-FSIvokhcqbBaSTXmK4/edit?usp=sharing

Talk to you soon,

JR