[Engineering] Outreachy-13 mentors needed

Sumit Asthana asthana.sumit23 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 06:58:49 UTC 2016

Hello Wikimedians,

Gnome's Outreachy-13 <https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy> is round the corner
and Wikimedia is again participating in yet another internship season ( Dec
6 to March 6 ). The application deadline is *Oct - 17*.

Its interesting to see that candidates have already started to ping on
projects and show their interest!

Our Outreachy-13 board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/2207/> till now has only
three projects. A lot of projects are sitting in possible-tech-projects
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/possible-tech-projects/> board
waiting to be mentored. Many of them are tagged as *community-wishlist*
showing the community consensus.
The *community wishlist* items which could use some love are:

   1. Make Special:Listfiles show the quantity of globalusage for a file -
   T120748 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120748>
   2. Category suggestions based on filename, description and location -
   T120437 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120437>
   3. Create a Timer based reminder for workflows - T88781
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88781>

Some others which look interesting:

   1. Dark archive for Commons - T120454
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T120454>
   2. Create a CAPTCHA that is also a useful micro edit - T87598
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T87598>
   3. Fix TreeViews to provide pageviews statistics for all articles of any
   wikiproject etc. - T56184 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T56184>
   4. Stash unsaved drafts of articles - T89235
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T89235>
   5. Merge proofread text back into Djvu files - T59807
   <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T59807>

Its a gentle request to please go through the projects, and if you could
mentor any of those, add yourself to the task as a mentor, and we'll do the
rest.

Also, if you have a lingering task to finish or a new interesting feature
waiting to get implemented, add *possbile-tech-projects*, and we'll make
sure to feature it. The only scope requirement is that it should take 2-3
weeks for an experienced developer to finish.

Please come forward to mentor some of the enthusiastic students so that we
can welcome new members into our community :)

-Thanks and Regards,
-Sumit,
B.Tech Final Year,
Dept. of CSE,