[Engineering] What are the main edit-review tools?

Aaron Halfaker ahalfaker at wikimedia.org
Thu May 5 14:21:58 UTC 2016

For English Wikipedia, I could probably get you some basic stats in ~30
mins of work.  In order to detect tool-based edits, we use patterns that
the tools leave in edit comments.  E.g. Huggle leaves a link to the huggle
docs: [[WP:HG|HG]]  My collaborators and I have build up mechanisms for
matching these edit comments so that we can attribute tool to edit.

Building this dataset up for other wikis would be hard, but I have a few
ideas.  E.g. we can look for common patterns in edit comments -- especially
those links that appear very often -- and do a little bit of manual vetting
to identify those comment edit comment patterns that are related to tools.
This would probably take a week or so to do for the first non-English
Wikipedia, but the rest would be much faster, I imagine.

Generally, I don't have much time to devote to this, but I'd be happy to
advise someone else who can spend more time looking at it.  This could
serve as valuable training for someone on your team.

While I was looking around for recent data on this, I found some plots that
provide some good food for thought.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Warning_posting.monthly.enwiki.svg
shows the introduction and sudden rise of warning template postings.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Teahouse_invitations.monthly.enwiki.svg
shows the more recent rise of teahouse invitation postings.  These are from
a study that Jonathan and I are working on around the effectiveness of the
teahouse.  See
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Teahouse_long_term_new_editor_retention

-Aaron