[Engineering] [Ops] The train will resume tomorrow (was Re: All wikis reverted to wmf.8 last night due to T119736)

Anna Stillwell astillwell at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 13 18:17:45 UTC 2016

Thank you for your perspective, Matt. I do believe that you always take
your work seriously. :)

Giuseppe, your point about a dedicated Media Wiki team is central. I've
talked to many in Tech about this. I wonder if that point should be made in
the incident report. Given the absence of a hired CTO to drive decisions
like this... is there anyone besides Wes on senior leadership that needs to
understand potential impacts (such as this one and many others)?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Giuseppe Lavagetto <
glavagetto at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:15 AM, aude <aude.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Ori Livneh <ori at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >> Our failure to react to this swiftly and comprehensively is appalling
> and
> >> embarrassing. It represents failure of process at multiple levels and a
> lack
> >> of accountability.
> >

> > This (unbreak now) bug has been open since November.  I wonder how this
> has
> > been allowed to remain open and not addressed for this long?
> >

> I am sure we could've done way better even in our current structure,
> but it's pretty clear to me that the absence of a team dedicated to
> MediaWiki itself calls for such things to happen.
>
> Which is pretty absurd, when you remember that 99% of our traffic is
> still served by it.
>
> Cheers
>
> G.
> --
> Giuseppe Lavagetto, Ph.d.
> Senior Technical Operations Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Anna Stillwell
Director of Culture and Collaboration
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536