[Engineering] SWAT deploy slot time changes (and adding European mid-day slot)

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Tue Aug 9 18:00:05 UTC 2016

tl;dr: Starting the week of August 22nd there will be 3 SWAT deploy
windows: at 13:00, 18:00, and 23:00 UTC (6am, 11am, 4pm PDT).

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that after being heavily SF-focused for a long
time we're adding a Europe-focused (and slightly better for Asia/India)
SWAT window[0] starting on August 22nd[1].

This new SWAT window follows a couple changes to the SWAT process[2] and
scap tooling[3] which make SWAT deploys less risky and stressful for all
involved.

We hope this additional window will make the lives of all teams and
volunteers (at least slightly) better.

<3,
Greg and the Release Engineering Team

[0] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWAT_deploys
[1] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments#Week_of_August_22nd
[2] Utilizing mw1099/X-Wikimedia-Debug headers, see:
    https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWAT_deploys#Doing_the_deploy
[3] Canary error rate checks built-in, see:
    https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-August/086255.html

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |