[Wikimedia Education] Wikipedia Ambassador Program seeks Regional Ambassadors - Apply!

Annie L. Lin alin at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 27 23:04:30 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

The Wikipedia Ambassador Program - consisting of volunteers who support
professors and students on Wikipedia-editing class assignments - is
currently recruiting for a new, super important leadership role called
the "Wikipedia Regional Ambassadors," and I would encourage you to
apply! If you enjoy being in a coordinator, leader, manager, organizer,
and/or facilitator role, and if you believe in free knowledge and
Wikipedia's potential in education, you will really like this role. More
details - including role descriptions, qualifications, benefits, time
commitments, and information about how to apply - are available at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ambassadors/Regional_Ambassadors.

A bit more background information for those of you less familiar with
the Ambassador program:

The Wikipedia Ambassador Program
<http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Ambassador_Program> is an
effort to help new Wikipedia users and reach out to new potential
Wikipedia contributors---particularly professors who want to incorporate
Wikipedia into the classroom and their students who are assigned to edit
Wikipedia. Many professors around the United States (and abroad) have
started using Wikipedia as a teaching tool, and are assigning their
students to edit or create Wikipedia articles related to the subject the
students are learning in class (professors from Harvard, Georgetown, UC
Berkeley, and a large number of other universities have already come on
board). Wikipedia Ambassadors work closely with these professors to
design effective Wikipedia-editing assignments, and then teach students
in these classes throughout the semester how to edit Wikipedia. All
Wikipedia Ambassadors have to go through a screening/selection process
and a training.

Wikipedia Regional Ambassadors
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ambassadors/Regional_Ambassadors> are
crucial leaders in the Wikipedia Ambassador Program. The Regional
Ambassador role is distinct from the regular Ambassador role mentioned
above - Regional Ambassadors lead, coordinate, and facilitate the work
of the regular Ambassadors, and are also responsible for recruiting
professors (to incorporate Wikipedia-editing into their classes) and
recruiting regular Ambassadors. In other words, whereas regular
Ambassadors focus on teaching and mentoring students, Regional
Ambassadors focus on coordinating, recruiting, organizing, and leading.
This is a new (volunteer) role that provides significant leadership
development and networking opportunities. The time commitment is
approximately 3-5 hours a week.

I would highly encourage you to apply. You'll notice on the page linked
above that we've divided the U.S. into 12 "regions," each of which needs
one or more Regional Ambassadors.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me: alin [at]
wikimedia [dot] org.

Thank you!

Annie Lin
Campus Team Coordinator