[Commons-l] Automated identification of images on commons

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Mon Sep 26 18:39:34 UTC 2011

  On 9/26/2011 1:32 PM, Andre Engels wrote:

> Every small category is a part of a big category. A system such as
> this will not be able to specify plant species, but it might well be
> able to find pictures of plants. If it then gives a list of plant
> pictures that are not in some plant category, animal pictures that are
> not in animal category, buildings that are not in a regional building
> category, maps that are not in a map of category, paintings that are
> not in a painter category, famous people that are not in a people
> category etcetera, it could deliver those to volunteers to further
> classify.

       The ImageCLEF people are getting such great results because
they're working in a specific and limited domain

http://www.imageclef.org/2011/Plants

       The goal is to identify plants by looking at their leaves.  An
obvious application is to build this into a mobile device -- you could
snap a picture of a leaf on a plant or remove a leaf and photograph it
against a good surface and it tells you what sort of plant you're
looking at.  This would be a great tool for any gardener's toolbox,
anywhere on earth.

       I'm looking forward to seeing people solve more problems like this.