[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue May 17 17:24:54 UTC 2011

> your offended by remarks you say my opinion is supressing you but your
> opinion is preventing others from participating. so to give you what you
> want must deny others.
>
> The purpose of Commons is to serve as a media repository, a reliable
> resource of useful, open source media content; organized and
> comprehensive
> in coverage (with accurate file descriptions/information), educational,
> and
> intended both for use by Wikimedia projects, and *as a public service
> freely
> accessible to everyone.
> *

And your position is that unless it is censored it is not freely accessible?

The validity of your position is obvious. And perhaps censored versions
of Commons should exist for use by Saudi women and children, in mainland
China and by radical feminists, and perhaps we ourselves should produce
them and host them if only to forestall forks, but the integrity of the
main project should be preserved.

We could produce special Wikipedias for Islamists, for the Chinese
government, for Turkey, for Catholics, for Mormons, for Kraft Foods, and,
of course, for the hard left.

Fred