[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:05:34 UTC 2011

>On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Tobias Oelgarte <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Gnangarra <gnangarra at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this picture worth more than 137,000 news images,
>> Is this picture worth the loss of xontributions from GLAM organisations
>> Is this picture worth the cost of denying other contributors the opportunity
>> to participate.
>
> If we buy this contributions with a loss of liberty. Then yes. Nothing is as
> worthy as liberty.

That sounds very nice, but what liberty have you lost.
The right for Commons to put an amateur image in front of millions of eyeballs?
By working with GLAMs, we can obtain high resolution images of the
real thing - the images which had an impact and defined their
sub-genre at the time.

I don't mind if we do put a confronting image or article in front of
millions of eyeballs, however we should be self-aware and ensure that
we are making good use of the opportunity.
If we are going to put sexual/confronting/challenging content on the
front page of Commons, it should be significant, and the majority of
viewers should be able to appreciate why it was selected for the front
page of Wikimedia Commons.

--
John Vandenberg