[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:49:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Tobias Oelgarte
<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 16.05.2011 16:43, schrieb Gnangarra:
>> Please explain how does one participate when their employment contract
>> specifically states that viewing of sexually explicit material over the
>> internet is a dismissable offense.
>>
>> The issue isnt hosting the image its about where its displayed.
>
> Do it in your freetime and not at work?

People go to commons to download media that they know is safe to reuse.

We want them to go to commons to download these media files.

We want them to do this *at work*.  That is why we require that media
must be released under licenses that allow commercial reuse.

Anyone should be able to use our category system to navigate from the
front page to the image they seek without being offended by images
that they did not want to see.  Of course we cant guarantee this,
however violations of this usability principle should be the
exception, and we should be keen to improve the categorisation.

--
John Vandenberg