[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Tue May 17 12:39:21 UTC 2011

As a separate thread of discussion from my last message, I note that
despite all the outrage yesterday from some quarters that we were
featuring works by non-notable Wikimedians on the front page that we are
doing exactly the same today.

Before anyone claims that this is not an artistic work, you should note
that it contains sufficient originality to be eligible for copyright
protection and that the Wikimedia Foundation sets a much higher threshold
for this than some (many?) national legislatures (including the United
Kingdom). In my view the skilled works of a Wikimedian should be
considered equal to the skilled works of another, regardless of field or
genera, when both are awarded the same status (in this case feautued
status) according to the same process.

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org