[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Mon May 16 20:14:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Stan Shebs wrote:

> False dichotomy - intelligent choice of front-page content is orthogonal
> to choice of collection content.  I'm perfectly content for Commons to
> have 100,000+ penis photos, indeed a large number starts to make it
> statistically interesting, but that doesn't mean I think that changing
> PotD to mean "Penis of the Day" is a good idea.

Nobody is suggesting that PotD should mean penis of the day, even if
we have 100,000+ featured images of them just as much as it should not be
Partridge of the Day if we get that many featured images of them. This is
completely irrelevant to the entire discussion.

The choice of front-page content is determined by featured pictures. If
you want featured pictures that cannot go on the main page then you have
to define and get consensus on a set of objective criteria that determines
what is and is not acceptbale for the front page. And then explain to the
authors and uploaders of content that doesn't make it why their image is
of a lower value than the next person's featured image. ("Sorry, but your
image cannot go on the main page because we don't want to offend some
Americans. However user:Example's image is fine because that's only
offensive to Muslims.")

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org